Women’s Development Commission
The role of the Women and Sport Commission is to advise the WBSC Baseball Division’s Executive Board on the policy to deploy in the area of promoting women in sport.
The Olympic Charter was amended to include, for the first time in history, an explicit reference to the need for work in this area: “The IOC encourages and supports the promotion of women in sport at all levels and in all structures, with a view to implementing the principle of equality of men and women.”
Rule 2, paragraph 7, Olympic Charter in force as from 07.07.2007.
In 1991, it was decided that any new sport seeking to be included in the Olympic program had to include women’s events.
Commission’s key objectives:
- Increase the number of women competing & countries bringing women to a higher level of competition
- Increase the number of women coaching, officiating and administrating sports
- Increase sport’s opportunities for girls and women with disabilities at local, national & international levels
- Increase representation by women in all IPC decision-making structures
- To establish women’s network
- To conduct leadership training
- To develop tool kit on sports participation for girls and women
- To promote research to understand the benefits and barriers to participation
- To connect with the broader women & sport movement