Support for School & Community Youth Projects
Offer assistance, limited financial contribution or specific opportunities to a National Federation, with the support of its Continental Confederation, to implement, within the school or Community system of the country, a sport educational programme. This programme must aim to spread the discipline(s) of Baseball and/or Softball throughout the young population, with the purpose to educate the youngsters to the values of respect, discipline, teamwork and responsibility, typical of these sports disciplines.
All National Federations may benefit from this programme. Nevertheless, priority will be given to whichever applicant can demonstrate that the basic sports movement is weak but has a clear potential for development. Another strong evaluation factor of the project will be the degree of interest of the school and/or local Community.
The WBSC may accept one request per year per NF, and the range of services/assistance comprehends the following items:
- Instruction: the WBSC will deliver an instruction manual, in which the future teachers/coaches will find all the necessary information and notions required to be able to lead properly the sports/educational programme;
- Training course: the WBSC, before the beginning of the programme, may foresee the organisation of a specialised technical course to effectively train the future teachers/coaches;
- Equipment and material: it consists in a special kit that will be delivered (through the National Federation) to every school or local Community involved in the project. It contains all the necessary material to put in place an appropriate field of play (considering that typically this kind of practice takes place in closed spaces, like school gyms), and some Baseball/Softball equipment, such as balls, bats, gloves, catcher’s gear, helmets, etc.;
- Baseball/Softball equipment and apparel: In case of advanced school projects, from time to time, for example in occasion of a national school championship or similar events, the WBSC may deliver technical equipment and apparel/uniforms; and
- Assistance: To be discussed in case of particular situations in the country due to relations between the National Federation and the local authorities (Government, Ministry of Sports/Education, National Olympic Committee, etc.) that may suggest a direct involvement and support of the WBSC. Nevertheless, such cases will be singularly evaluated together with the National Federation and, depending on the occasion, with the Continental Confederation, in order to put in place the best possible action plan.
In order to allow sufficient time for analysis the official application form must be presented no later than 6 months prior to the start of the proposed project. The following information must be included on the application form:
- Description of the proposed project;
- Name and contacts of a liaison in charge of all the communication between the National Federation and the WBSC;
- Names and CVs(Resumes) of all the future teachers/coaches;
- Starting and ending dates of the programme;
- Suggested dates for the instruction course, if needed; and
- Indication on the instructional manual language, if different from English or Spanish.
Moreover, each school or local Community in which the programme will be implemented shall provide the following information through the National Federation:
- Name and address;
- Referent and contact details;
- Name and signature of the legal representative;
- Number of classes or groups involved in the project;
- Names of the students involved and information about their age and gender; and
- Frequency of baseball/softball activity(ies) (weekly, monthly, yearly).
Analysis and Approval
The WBSC, with the support of the Continental Confederation, will analyse the action plan submitted and will inform the National Federation within 60 days from the submission, on whether the application has been approved, denied or needs further analysis.
The WBSC will contribute to cover the expenses for the following items:
- Special Kits, including shipping;
- Instructional manual, provided in English or Spanish; and
- Technical course: limited to the costs related to the instructors, such as international transportation, per diem and illness and accident insurance, if needed.
In the other hand, the National Federation will be requested to cover the following expenses:
- Translation and printing of the manuals, should a language different from English or Spanish be required;
- Technical course: the costs related to the local transportation, food and accommodation for the instructors, and any other eventual cost related to the course itself not covered by the WBSC, such as the rental of office spaces, stationary etc.;
- Per diem or salary of the future teachers/coaches,if necessary; and
- Any other expense not covered by the WBSC.
Important: Any difference between the expenses covered by the WBSC and the ones covered by the National Federation may be covered by eventual external assistance (Government, sponsors, Continental Confederation, etc.).
Follow-up and Control
At the conclusion of the educational programme the National Federation must present the following documents to the WBSC, as soon as possible:
- A report for each school or local Community, with an evaluation, comments as well as all other pertinent information (photographs, press clippings etc.);
- A detailed technical report drafted by the National Federation with an evaluation, comments as well as all other pertinent information (photographs, press clippings, etc.); and
- 6 months from the end of the programme, the National Federation shall submit a report including all the information related to eventual increase in number of players that joined any team/club within the areas in which the programme took place.
- Advance payment (60%of budget) made with the approval letter of the preparation project; and
- Balance payment (40% of budget) made upon receipt and acceptation of the final reports detailing the activities carried out and justifying the totality of the budget allocated within the context of this project.