Five National Teams advanced from the Baseball European Championship to the WBSC Baseball Europe/Africa Qualifying Event for the Games of the XXXII Olympiad Tokyo 2020. Italy, The Netherlands, Israel and Spain won in the quarter-finals. The Czech Republic beat the hosts Germany in the fifth-place game.
Italy, as the host Nation, was granted the number one seed. The other four European Nationa are seeded 2-5 in the same order of their placement in the European Championship. South Africa, that qualified in May as the Baseball Africa Champion, is seeded number six.
The Italian National Television RAI was granted exclusive national broadcasting rights.
The games will be also streamed live by Eleven Sports in the UK.
A crew from TV Asahi from Japan will also be present on the ground
There will be two pre-event press conferences. WBSC President Riccardo Fraccari will attend both:
- WHEN: Monday, 16 September at 1 pm CEST
- WHERE: Cappella Farnese, Bologna, located in Piazza Maggiore 6, in the heart of the historical centre
- WHO: Matteo Lepore (Sports Commissioner, City of Bologna), Gianmaria Manghi (Deputy of the Governor of the Emilia Romagna Region), Pierluigi Bissa (Bologna LOC), Federico Pizzarotti (Mayor of Parma)
- WHEN: Tuesday, 17 September at 5 pm CEST
- WHERE: Parma City Council Hall, located in Piazza Garibaldi, in the city centre.
- WHO: Federico Pizzarotti (Mayor of Parma), Marco Bosi (Deputy Mayor of Parma, Sports Commissioner), Massimo Fochi (Parma LOC), Pierluigi Bissa (Bologna LOC)
WBSC approved over 50 credentials for working media and photographers
Media credentials will be available for pick-up during the press conferences or at the ticket offices of Bologna’s Gianni Falchi Stadium and Parma’s Nino Cavalli Stadium during the event.