Hosting a World Cup
The World Baseball Softball Confederation (WBSC) invites member federations to express their interest in hosting a WBSC World Cup. WBSC Baseball World Cups showcase the best players and teams from throughout the world at various categories.
These are: WBSC U-12 Baseball World Cup, WBSC U-15 Baseball World Cup, WBSC U-18 Baseball World Cup, WBSC U-23 Baseball World Cup, WBSC Women’s Baseball World Cup.
Organising these WBSC events gives the opportunity to the national federation to develop the game locally, while also providing world-wide exposure for their program and the hosting region.
Benefits of hosting a World Cup
The World Baseball Softball Confederation (WBSC) is committed that baseball not only grows worldwide through the organisation of various WBSC World Cups, but also ensures that national federations benefit of hosting a WBSC Baseball World Cup before, during and after an event. Other benefits are:
- Helps construction of new or renovation of existing facilities to support the development of the game at all levels.
- Increased number of high quality baseball development programs for professional, amateur, youth and grassroot levels.
- Improved cooperation between host cities, sponsors, media and local community at large.
- Enhanced partnerships and greater commercial activity and investment from new sponsors, media and broadcasters.
- Help in breaking down social barriers for participation and better opportunities for both women and young people.
- Using well-known baseball players and coaches as role models to encourage kids and emerging players and to promote health and other social benefits.
Process of bidding for a World Cup
The World Baseball Softball Confederation (WBSC) Baseball Division approved the outline for international baseball competitions from 2012 to 2019. Additionally WBSC streamlined the process for federation to bid for the organization of a WBSC World Cup. Event Hosting Manuals were created to provide a guideline for interested hosts.
- WBSC asks National Federations to express interest in hosting a WBSC World Cup.
- National Federations express their interest in a WBSC World Cup and return the bidding form to the WBSC Office.
- WBSC evaluates the various bid submissions.
- WBSC identifies and selects the most suitable candidate for approval by the Executive Committee.
- WBSC announces the successful host for the WBSC World Cup.
The World Baseball Softball Confederation (WBSC) has produced a number of manuals that aim to guide the local commitees through the organization of an international baseball event. The manuals were produced by the WBSC Tournaments Department to help set a standard for the organisation of events, in order to ensure the success delivery and sustainable legacy of the WBSC Baseball World Cups.