IZU, Japan – The Samurai Japan U-15 National Team went undefeated (5-0) with four shutouts, including a dramatic 1-0 walk-off win over Korea today and a 3-0 win over Chinese Taipei on Friday, to win the Baseball Federation of Asia (BFA) U-15 Baseball Championship.
In a pivotal rivalry match on Saturday, No. 4 Chinese Taipei topped No. 3 Korea, 5-3.
Finishing in 1st and 2nd Place, respectively, top-ranked Japan and Chinese Taipei will compete against the world at the WBSC U-15 Baseball World Cup 2018. To date, nine spots have been claimed in the 12-nation global battle For the title of World Champion in the U-15 age category.
Facts and Figures
- It was Japan’s first Asian U-15 title since 2008.
- Ranked lowest, No. 47 Philippines finished ahead of and defeated No. 26 Pakistan and No. 35 Hong Kong.
- No. 26 Pakistan was the only team in Izu to score a run against top-ranked Japan.
- Four nations had players make the 2017 U-15 All-Asia Team: Japan (4), Chinese Taipei (3), Korea (2) and Pakistan (1).
- Points will be awarded for the WBSC Baseball World Ranking Presented by ENEOS based on the final standings.
- Japan (5-0)
- Chinese Taipei (4-1)
- Korea (3-2)
- Philippines (2-3)
- Pakistan (1-4)
- Hong Kong (0-5)
WBSC U-15 Baseball World Cup 2018