- 8 of 16 teams remain in battle for the softball world title
- Japan finished atop Group A; Canada top seed from Group B
- All 4 Quarter-Final games will be played on Friday, 21 June
- WBSC Facebook page passes 350k milestone
PRAGUE, Czech Republic — The World Baseball Softball Confederation (WBSC) released the game schedule for the Quarter-Finals of the WBSC Men’s Softball World Championship 2019, being played in Europe for the first time ever.
Japan (7-0) earned the top seed out of Group A, followed by No. 2 seed Argentina (6-1), No. 3 seed New Zealand (4-3) and No. 4 seed Czech Republic (3-4).
In Group B, undefeated Canada (7-0) claimed the No. 1 seed, while Australia (6-1) earned the No. 2 seed, USA (5-2) the No. 3 seed and Venezuela (4-3) the No. 4 seed.
Friday, 21 June:
- 10:30 – Venezuela v Japan
- 13:30 – United States v Argentina
- 16:30 – New Zealand v Australia
- 19:30 – Czech Republicv Canada
The semi-finals will be contested on Saturday, 22 June, with the bronze medal match and Final — For the Title of World Champion — to follow on Sunday.
Social Media Milestone
Only through the group stage of the first-ever WBSC Men’s Softball World Championship in central Europe, the pinnacle men’s softball competition has already generated the most online views and social media volume in the event’s history, with over 3.5 million views and over 4 million impressions on WBSC’s social media accounts, driving WBSC’s Facebook page to more than 350,000 likes.
Placement Round – 8th to 16th
Eight nations — Botswana, Cuba, Denmark, Mexico, Netherlands, Philippines, Singapore, South Africa — have been eliminated from medal contention but will continue to play in the Placement Round to determine the final standings and allocation of world ranking points.
Placement Round Schedule
- 10:30 – Singapore v Philippines
- 13:30 – Netherlands v Botswana
- 16:30 – South Africa v Mexico
- 19:30 – Cuba v Denmark
For full coverage of the event, including live play-by-play, stats and game summaries, visit the official tournament website at https://mswc.wbsc.org.