Western Cape (women) and Limpopo (men) claimed the softball national title in South Africa, after the 23rd National Provincial Championships held in Rustenburg, North West Province from 3-7 April. The finals took place at Olympia Stadium, and were streamed live.
A total of nine teams participated in both tournaments:
- Eastern Cape Softball Association
- Free State Softball Association
- Gauteng Softball Association
- Kwa Zulu Natal Softball Association
- Limpopo Softball Association
- Western Cape Softball Association
- North West Softball Association
- National Schools Team, Represented by Under 19 teams
- National Universities Teams
In the women’s tournament the gold medal went to Western Cape, Gauteng got silver and the U-19 National Team got bronze. The U-19 National Team made history by making the top three for the first time.
In the other hand, the men’s gold medallists were Limpopo, followed by Gauteng (silver) and Kwa Zulu Natal (bronze).
South Africa is the World No. 35 in the WBSC Women’s Softball World Ranking, and earned a berth in the WBSC Women’s Softball World Championship Chiba 2018, after being second in the last African Qualifier. In the Men’s side, South Africa is the No. 14 in the ranking.